July 30-August 3, 2012
University of Alaska Museum of the North
Application Deadline : Sunday June 24, 2012
This workshop will be held at the University of Alaska Museum of the North in Fairbanks, AK from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. on Friday.
This workshop will feature:
- Information about the Moon - such as lunar geology, lunar phases, lunar exploration, and the Moon as an object in the Solar System
- Data from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter
- Hands-on standards-aligned activities and resources designed to help you bring lunar science and real data into your classroom
- The opportunity to interact with lunar scientists and engineers
- Tools to help you address student misconceptions about the Moon
- Certification to bring lunar samples into your classroom
This workshop will be free for all attendees, but due to budgetary constraints, we will not be able to provide compensation for travel, lodging, meals, or per diem stipends. We hope that you will be able to find support through your school district if you will require assistance to be able to come to the workshop.
The workshop is open to all 6-12 grade science teachers, but will be capped at 25 participants. Qualified applicants will be accepted in the order that they apply; interested teachers are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Professional Development Credits
All participants will receive certificates for 32 contact hours. Continuing education credits may be available through UAF for a fee. More details regarding credits will be sent to accepted applicants.
Getting to the Workshop
907 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks, AK 99709
The University of Alaska Museum of the North is located on the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF) campus. Visitor parking is available adjacent to the museum. Parking permits must be purchased from one of the kiosks in the museum parking lot ($3 a day). The UAF campus is also accessible by the Fairbanks MACS bus transit system Get Directions, Public Transit, and parking information.
→ Fill out an online application for this workshop
You should receive an automatically generated confirmation email immediately after submitting your application. You will be contacted within 5 business days regarding your acceptance to the workshop.
If you have any questions regarding this workshop, please contact Katie Hessen
+ View All Workshops